In recent years there has been a sharp increase in the number of infections in dogs by a lungworm called Angiostrongylus vasorum (sometimes called ‘French heartworm’). Unfortunately for us, this parasite is particularly common in South Wales, and seems to be moving northwards. We have examined a number of suspect cases recently.
Dogs catch lungworm by eating slugs or snails that are infected with the parasite. Lungworm infection causes serious health problems, and can be fatal. Lungworm infection is not prevented by veterinary worming tablets, but there is a spot-on solution that prevents infection.
For more information about lungworm and it’s treatment and prevention, please contact us to have a chat or visit www.lungworm.co.uk.
Find us here:
Please call this number for emergencies:
Tregaron Surgery (CLOSED)
We use 3 different types of cookies on our website. You can say which ones you're happy for us to use below.
These cookies do things like keep the website secure. They always need to be on.
These cookies store information about how you use our website, such as what you click on.
These cookies do things like tell us if you've seen our adverts on social media, such as Facebook or Twitter.