Beware slugs and snails...!

In recent years there has been a sharp increase in the number of infections in dogs by a lungworm called Angiostrongylus vasorum (sometimes called ‘French heartworm’).  Unfortunately for us, this parasite is particularly common in South Wales, and seems to be moving northwards.  We have examined a number of suspect cases recently.  

Dogs catch lungworm by eating slugs or snails that are infected with the parasite.  Lungworm infection causes serious health problems, and can be fatal.  Lungworm infection is not prevented by veterinary worming tablets, but there is a spot-on solution that prevents infection. 

For more information about lungworm and it’s treatment and prevention, please call into the surgery to have a chat or visit www.lungworm.co.uk

 

24 Hour Emergency Telephone 01570 422 322

Copyright 2008 - 2016 Steffan Veterinary Services Ltd, 5 High Street, Lampeter, Ceredigion SA48 7BA
Email reception@steffanvets.co.uk
Home - News - Lampeter Surgery - Tregaron Surgery - Pets - Horses - Farm - Emergency Service - About Us - Site Map
Member of VetsWest
Created by Penguinseekers